The Troutlodge advantage
All female eggs
Troutlodge is the world's leading supplier of eyed rainbow trout eggs. We specialize in the production of all-female and triploid (sterile) eggs. All-female eggs are preferred by commercial trout farmers throughout the world. Troutlodge proudly offers all-female Rainbow trout eggs as its standard product, meaning you do not pay a premium for these superior eggs. Maximize your farm's potential through these significant benefits:
- Firmer, more palatable flesh.
- Better feed conversion.
- Better, healthier fish due to fewer males.
- Fewer unmarketable, precocious males at dress-out time.
- Excellent commercial presentation of trout at any time of year.
Triploid trout are also known as 3N or sterile trout. Some of the many benefits of triploid eggs include:
- Better flesh quality compared to diploids
- Better growth to large sizes as all energy is transferred to growth rather than reproduction
- Comparable growth to diploid populations early in the life cycle
- More efficient and productive use of hatchery facilities by removal of unnecessary reproducing fish
- Fish are suitable for release without genetic impact, as they cannot breed with native populations
These benefits help make triploid eggs the perfect solution for farmers needing a sterile salmonid for the following situations:
- Growth past the normal period of reproduction
- Production of "trophy"-sized fish for recreational purposes
- Prevention of reproduction in released or escaped fish
Troutlodge has been a pioneer in the development of triploid technology and processes for the salmonid industry. Thanks to this extensive experience, Troutlodge achieves +99% induction rates in the triploid process. All triploid eggs sold by Troutlodge are all-female.
Spring strain rainbow trout (Jumpers)
Availability: late April - mid July
Troutlodge May strain rainbow eggs are typically available and offered to customers between April and July. The May strain is selected via genomic selection for high resistance to Bacterial Cold Water Disease. Eggs are approximately 4.8 - 5.3 mm on average. To ensure your alevins or fry survive and grow well we recommend feeding premium trout starter diets after hatching and “swim-up” with a size range of 0.2 mm – 0.6 mm. Click here for more information about our BCWD resistant May strain.
Summer strain rainbow trout (Kamloops)
Availability: late July - mid October
Troutlodge August strain rainbow eggs are typically available and offered to customers between July and October. Of the 4 groups Troutlodge produces, August strain eggs are roughly 20% smaller in size and average between 3.5 - 4.5 mm. Despite their small egg size, the August strain growth rates compares very similarly to our other three rainbow trout strains. To ensure alevins or fry survive and grow well, we recommend using premium trout starter diets with after hatching and “swim-up” at a size range of 0.2 mm – 0.6 mm.
Winter and Fall Strain rainbow trout (Steelhead)
Availability: mid October - mid April
Troutlodge's "Silver Steelhead" trout are specially bred to have a distinctive silver color and excellent growth in both seawater and freshwater, making them ideal for use in net-pen operations. Winter and Fall steelhead are produced by two distinct strains of trout and both are subject to our comprehensive Genetic Selection Program. These eggs are available from mid-October to mid April.